[community] Feb 2, 630pm: DeSci Toronto Meetup (sLab & Abstrakta)

Greg Van Alstyne gvanalstyne at ocadu.ca
Sun Jan 29 20:10:00 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,
Happy Lunar New Year, and I hope that 2023 finds you well.
On behalf of sLab & Abstrakta, we invite you to this facilitated event.
Please see links & details below & feel free to share with interested parties.
Warm regards,
—Greg
———————————

“How might we open knowledge production
to new players & ideas, fairer & freer forms
of ownership and access?”

Decentralized Science (DeSci) Toronto Meetup
Thu Feb 2, 630–830 pm

OCAD University
100 McCaul Street, rm 654 (6th fl)
Toronto, ON M5T 1W1

Join us for an informal meetup to discuss the emerging movement of Decentralized Science. DeSci explores the intersection of knowledge sharing and Web 3.0 approaches to funding, ownership, and collaboration — away from profit-centred, gate-keeping intermediaries like publisher conglomerates, toward more autonomous and decentralized forms.*

This open, public event will include an introduction to DeSci and selected projects presented by innovators in spaces including healthcare and social innovation. We'll end with a hands-on workshop aiming to identify shared purposes that can guide future meetups and joint actions.

At gatherings in Boston, San Francisco, and now Toronto, changemakers are developing trans-disciplinary discourse and developments among interested parties from across many sectors and walks of life.

  *   Designing systems to distribute decision-making, management, & entity ownership
  *   New forms of knowledge sharing, disintermediation, ‘smart contracts’, ‘smart manuscripts’
  *   Catalyzing formation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs)

Register — please visit Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/decentralized-science-desci-toronto-meetup-tickets-511068769447>

Background

  *   A Guide to DeSci, the Latest Web3 Movement<https://future.com/what-is-decentralized-science-aka-desci/> — future.com
  *   Decentralized autonomous organization<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralized_autonomous_organization> — Wikipedia