[community] TA for data + info viz studio, 3rd yr UG

Greg Van Alstyne gvanalstyne at ocadu.ca
Sun Sep 11 20:20:49 UTC 2022

Dear folks

I’ve got support for a TA this Fall 2022 and I’m looking for interested candidates. The course is GD3, a required, core studio for third year, undergrad Graphic Design majors.

Please note: this is a 1.0 credit evening course, scheduled every Tue and Thu 630-930pm; with OCAD U’s current feelings about delivery and pandemic, we’re expected to meet in person on campus.

As instructor my approach will emphasize data literacy, data quality, inclusivity, ethics, mis- and disinformation, dashboards, time-based forms, and storytelling. My examples will draw from climate justice, feminism and other anti-oppression topics, while students are free to develop projects that express their own research interests.

No expertise in graphic design in necessary. However, course focus is on data and information visualization, so experience in relevant practice / theory is advantageous, such as communications, journalism, gestalt, cog sci, animation, video editing, generative art and design.

Teaching Assistant, Fall 2022
course                   Graphic Design 3 — GDES-3017
with                       Greg Van Alstyne, Associate Professor, Faculty of Design
syllabus                https://selfservice.ocadu.ca/<https://selfservice.ocadu.ca/Student/Courses/Search?keyword=Graphic+Design+3+%E2%80%94+GDES-3017+>
time                      each Tue & Thu evening, 630-930 pm
dates                     Sep 8 through Dec 13 — role begins ASAP
size                        ~25 students
delivery                bi-weekly classes on campus, using rich online materials

syllabus excerpt:
“Given the proliferation and variety of data available, the development and building upon of numeracy, data collection, analysis, and interpretation skills are considered alongside varied theories relevant to communication in the information age. The exploration of visualization methods and media-from charts to more complex and interactive forms- foster a critical approach to visualization, highlighting its power to inform and persuade.”
If this connects with your experience and availability, please email me (gvanalstyne at ocadu.ca<mailto:gvanalstyne at ocadu.ca>), and include

  *   brief statement of interest
  *   resume / CV
  *   portfolio link or selected work

many thanks,
—gva

Greg Van Alstyne
Associate Professor, Faculty of Design
Director, Strategic Innovation Lab (sLab)