[community] Fwd: AODA standard for Social Assistance?

John W (personal) pickupwillis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 23:24:46 UTC 2021

As always this community is awesome!! thanks all for your fee

Cybele and Lucian, I agree with basically all your points, which is not to
say there is no real distinction you are raising - rather, I think the
redesign of social assistance is realy quie complex. The historic
undermpinnings (as Cybele notes) really limit the mental models that public
service managers of OW/ODSP can mobilize.  For example, OW is
still designed to punish people who are not productive in mainstream labour
markets, but they can escape into a higher income bracket (somewhat) by
gaining entry to ODSP -- where the underlying logic is you are useless to
society because you are neither able enough to 'produce' in the economy..

The overall logic, then, is that people on social assistance are either
failing because they aren't effective consumers or effective producers.
This means they are eminently ignorable from a political standpoint.

This is what it means to be truly 'marginal' in a capitalist society. The
'recovery' plan for social assistance coming out of COVID is in fact to
double-down on this framework by funneling resources to job-seekers --
which means those on Ontario Works by the way, not ODSP.

Having said all that, the actual experience of getting services through
these programs seems to me an important driver of equity as well - for
example, if there are no touchpoints (no affordable wifi, no offices, no
material in indigenous languages...) for low income nortrners, they cannot
get the benefits for housing or food they may need.

I now am starting to understand that the wedge, or lever, for change could
well be the issues around culturally-appropriate services and supports.
What does an indigenous northern young woman need in order to access
services? What does a black family in Brampton need?  If 'equity' means
anything I think it has to do with respecting difference in perspectives
and designing for that difference - again let's challenge 'one size fits
all' thinking!

All of these threads converge, I think, on participatory models in which
peple who use the service are involved in its design and governance. Big
role for our community in that. Equity strategy must include real
participation, co-design, co-production.

What do you think?