[community] How can we help?

parinaz Mizban p.mizban at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 23:31:42 UTC 2020

Hi Pina,

This is Parinaz.  Thank you so much for your replying and sharing your ideas.  I have been thinking about this question so much these days;  what effect will the Corona virus have on Humans and Architecture going forward?

Yes, this is very precarious time, and everyone has so much stress and anxiety, but as you mentioned, the quality of the residential environment is important too. For example, a study in poor neighborhoods in Chicago, where buildings and apartments were architecturally similar but the amount of vegetation outside varied considerably, showed that residents living in barren environments reported higher levels of intra-family violence and aggression than residents living in greener environments (Kuo & Sullivan 2001). Is has been argued, that contemporary people still have a deep-seated tendency to associate with nature and the natural elements, referred to a biophilia. Biophilic design- the integration of natural shapes, forms, and processes in architecture- is closely related to restorative design, an approach that focuses on the promotion of restoration from stress or mental fatigue as a key component of biophilic experience (Hartig, Bringslimark & Grindal Patil 2008).  However, it must be asked why it is that buildings do not have more natural content.  One reason, as a Salingaros has written, "is the buildings are often planned with cost efficiency in mind, instead of integrating natural forms".

The follow site demonstrates a great example a biophilic design: https://mymodernmet.com/vincent-callebaut-biomimetic-green-sustainable-architecture/

In my own experience, based on my PhD thesis result, social design - the design of buildings which best address human needs and desires - is very important.  Social design, like Place Attachment, supports  personal identity as well as social identity, to give a positive feeling when in a place and negative feelings when away from it.  Unfortunately, in modern architecture, a gap  exists between the designers of the building and the users of the building.  Social design attempts to bridge this gap as it focuses on a human-oriented, small-scale, democratic approach.

As a result of Covid-19, like so many things in my opinion, architectural designs will change, and the solution may lie in different type of architecture.  Research by environmental psychologists will have a positive impact on design resulting in more efficient economic design, a more supportive home workplace, and especially in healthcare architecture, stress reduction and safety.

My best regards,
Parinaz