[community] Feedback: conditional text input HTML forms

Jonathan Hung jhung at ocadu.ca
Thu Apr 9 13:47:07 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

In a project I am working on, we are exploring the idea to use a radio group to control the appearance of text input fields depending on the visitor's selection. For example, a site may ask for a home phone, email address, or mobile number, and depending on their selection a different text field will appear to gather their preferred contact method.

The motivation for this conditional text input is to simplify the input form and only reveal additional form input as needed, without compromising the experience for someone using assistive technologies.

We have come across two different implementations of conditional text input:

  *   inline with radio input (visit this working example on gov.uk<https://design-system.service.gov.uk/components/radios/conditional-reveal/index.html>).
  *   following the radio input (visit this example on Codepen<https://codepen.io/jhung/full/oNjNWwN>).

I would like feedback on these two possible approaches. Does it work for you? What are some concerns? Are there improvements or alternatives to consider? Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jon.

---
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Design Collaborator / Researcher
Email: jhung at ocadu.ca<mailto:jhung at ocadu.ca>
OCAD University
Inclusive Design Research Centre