[community] How can we help?

parinaz Mizban p.mizban at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:02:39 UTC 2020

“Stay home, stay safe”

This is the motto that the World Health Organization as well as the media
are presently trumpeting as the defense against the Novel Corona virus.

Today’s mandatory home quarantine is a unique experience in the modern
world and for our urban communities; an experience that we have could have
never envisioned.  Everyone will surely never forget being afraid even to
socialize and interact with one’s own friends and family due to confronting
an invisible yet ever increasing danger resulting in fear of the city!

This forced confinement has demonstrated that in our era, our homes are not
acceptable for living.  The dormitory style housing that we have
constructed for the urban middle class is not sustainable for long duration
accommodations due to small interior dimensions and limited outdoor space
as well as restricted access to nature, a lack of recreational facilities
and other various weaknesses.

Those with foresight had long predicted that the digital age and arrival of
the Internet coupled with technological advancements and deployments of
virtual networks would bring people home from their workplace.  For a large
number of us, this has offered a possibility of a superior lifestyle; the
question is, are our homes ready for long-term residence?

Our return home will lead to a decline in social relationships. The
internet and social networks seemed to be able to fix this. But recent
experience has shown us all that virtual networks are not yet a viable
alternative to face-to-face relationships. Just as television and satellite
networks have not been a good substitute for outdoor recreation in the city
and in nature. Should we hope to get used to these flaws and not feel them
anymore?

It seems that by reducing our presence in the city and avoiding everyday
social interactions, we will become more involved with our minds and our
inner selves. Repentance guides us into our inner, or mental worlds. This
is the attitude we have ascribed to introverted humans.

Extroversion and introversion were popularized by Carl Jung in 1921. In
Psychological Types, Jung described how extroverts engage with external
stimuli. He believed that extroverts direct their energy outwards -towards
other people- and gain energy from such encounters. Introverts, meanwhile,
focus their energy inwards, towards more solitary, thoughtful activities.

According to Jung, Every conscious extrovert is an introvert deep within
her subconscious, and every conscious introvert is extroverted in her
subconscious. This is an example of a compensatory or retaliatory role
played by the unconscious in the psyche. However, will our homes or digital
worlds respond appropriately to this process?

It is accepted that the Corona virus has changed the culture of our
communications along with social relations.  Friendly gatherings have
necessarily decreased in size. The typical face-to-face interactions with
people has now been replaced exclusively with virtual meetings.  As a
result, Nostalgia develops and people will be lonelier than ever before.
However, these perceptions only concern social relations, and do not
address the alterations in the relationship between humans and nature as
wells as the world around them.

There are two essential words that are frequently used in contemporary
design which have formed our approach towards architectural policy;
transparency and permeability. The question is, how do we feel about these
words now that we are imprisoned in our homes?

--
*Parinaz Mizban *
Phd Candidate at University of Art , Tehran