[community] Twitter chat #kidscantwait aimed at "parents and caregivers to children with mental health issues"

Caren Watkins cwatkins at ocadu.ca
Tue Apr 7 17:55:08 UTC 2020

Hello again, the following is the exact email I just sent out but with all styling striped out (I hope!). The original seemed to have ported over some strange underlying styling. If you prefer visual organization you may want to look through the original email. Thanks and sorry for the confusion!

HERE IS THE BEGINNING OF THE ORIGINAL EMAIL:

Hello everyone,
Please feel free to share the following online event.
Caren
?
Please join us for a Twitter Chat
Our last Twitter Chat had an exceptionally high level of engagement indicating a need in the community for parents and caregivers of children with mental illness to have a place to share and connect.

We are hosting another Twitter Chat tomorrow April 7th, 2020.

This Twitter Chat will be a great opportunity for families to share experiences and parenting strategies throughout the pandemic. The chat will be aimed at parents and caregivers to children with mental health issues. We recognize families are facing new challenges with the COVID-19 pandemic. Let’s come together and support each other.

Please consider sharing about the chat with your staff, board members, family advisory groups and youth groups using the graphic below. As with last time, we will be having participation in both French and English. We understand these are busy times so we appreciate all who are able to get involved!
The purpose of this chat is to:

·     Create an opportunity for parents of children with mental health issues to come together and share their experiences, as well as share resources, tips, etc., for supporting their family
·     Share credible resources and information to support parents help their children
·     Demonstrate the important role of community child and youth mental health in supporting kids and families in the current crisis
These are the questions for the chat

1.  Let’s check in! How are you all doing this week? #kidscantwait
2.  How are you talking to your child about COVID-19? #kidscantwait
3.  With so many closures affecting kids (ie, school closures, playgrounds closed, etc), how is your child managing the day-to-day? What tools/resources have been helpful?
4.  Do you have examples of creative solutions you’ve come across of people truly being “the village” for other parents/kids? #kidscantwait
5.  What are you doing to stay connected to friends and family while you are at home? #kidscantwait

Our hosts for this chat are:

·     Kim Moran, CMHO CEO
·     Ann Douglas,  leading Canadian Parenting Author
·     Dr. Javeed Sukhera, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
·     Laurie McCann, Police Officer and mental health advocate
·     Dr. Catherine Horvath, Psychologist and Executive Director of Ottawa Centre for Resilience

You'll see we are collaborating with partners at the Ontario Psychiatry Association and the Ontario Psychological Association on the Twitter Chat. We hope you can join.

Please do share about the chat in your social media networks and with your staff, board members and family groups, encouraging others to join us.

Here are tips for participating:

·     Prepare ahead of time! We have given you the questions so that you can prepare responses ahead of time. Please add links to your site when necessary.
·     Always use the hashtag #kidscantwait to ensure your messages appear in the thread
·     As soon as you see the question posted from @kidsmentalhlth, jump right in with your responses. When answering, refer to the question number, ie:
·     Q1) What supports in your community have helped you and your family?
·     A1) XYZ answer with #kidscantwait
·     Also, look for opportunities to engage with others participating. A simple follow back, an RT, or a like will go a long way.
·     Be sure to share the invitation and let others in your community know about the chat. All are welcome!

If you have any questions about the chat, please let me know.

Jessica Behnke
Director, Strategic Relations and Communications
jbehnke at cmho.org

CAREN WATKINS, MDes

Inclusive Design Research Centre
OCAD University
205 Richmond Street West, 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON   M5V 1V3
idrc.ocadu.ca

SNOW: Inclusive Education and Learning
Learning with Technology since 1998

snow.idrc.ocadu.ca/

FLOE: Flexible Learning for Open Education
https://floeproject.org/

cwatkins at ocadu.ca

T 416-520-1275

jbehnke at cmho.org<mailto:jbehnke at cmho.org>