[community] Community design crit - Aug 20, Inclusive Analytics
jhung at ocadu.ca
Mon Aug 19 18:16:23 UTC 2019
For the design crit tomorrow, Tuesday August 20th, we will be having a discussion about inclusive analytics.
Questions to provoke discussion:
* How do you design metrics and data tracking in such a way that it encourages collaboration?
* How do you avoid the divisive competition that often results?
* How do you support challenging yourself, for example, without engendering the feeling that you are being judged (from above or by other team members)?
* How do you avoid telling only the part of the story that singles people out and fails to reflect the circumstances of the anomalous numbers?
* If the goal of the data monitoring is to increase efficiency, how do you avoid nudging people to bypass the "difficult" clients?
* Are there ways of capturing measures, monitoring measures, and using the measures to make decisions within the workplace that don't look and feel like the corrosive form of surveillance management we hear about in places like Amazon fulfillment?
* Are there things we can design into the data system that can help to encourage collaboration and a cooperative ethos, or is that dependent on what is done with the data system and beyond our control?
These questions are broad-reaching in its impact, and can apply across many domains: the workplace, within a classroom, deployment of services and products, etc.
The meeting will be from 2pm to 3pm ET and will be hosted in the Collaboration room at 205 Richmond Street West (IDRC offices) in Toronto, and online in this Vidyo web conference room<https://conf.inclusivedesign.ca/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=xemU59x8DtnO41eCMtCpCioWaRI>.
For more information on the Community design crits, please visit the Design Crit wiki page<https://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/HQC_B>.
Jonathan Hung, Inclusive Design Collaborator / Researcher
Email: jhung at ocadu.ca<mailto:jhung at ocadu.ca>
Inclusive Design Research Centre
More information about the community